Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I do EVERYTHING around here! Oh wait, that's you...

When JB and I got married almost 5 years ago, I was definitely the domestic side of the partnership. I did everything from the cooking, cleaning, laundry, home repairs, garbage, all the finances....you name it, it was somehow on my responsibility list. JB went to school and studied...that was about it. We had the typical arguments young newlyweds have as you figure out ones roles in the household and partnership. Me screaming "I do EVERYTHING around here!" was heard on a regular basis.

As the months and years went by, we started dividing up household chores a little more...JB took over all garbage and the lawn care. Since I cooked, he was then responsible for all kitchen clean-up (which morphed into loading AND unloading the dishes). I was originally responsible for laundry tasks but started demanding that folding and putting away clothes turn into a shared job....until JB started doing all the folding and putting away of clothes. I had always had an aversion to the sound of the vacuum (I know it is a strange pet peeve of mine) so JB took that over too. "When you finish vacuuming, will you go ahead and dust?" I would ask. JB would groan a bit, but usually get out the Pledge and paper towels.

Finally one day, not too long ago, I was going off one of my crazy rants when JB didn't do something I asked him to handle and I started to use my trusty tag line "I do EVERYTHING around here" BUT WAIT, I can't use that anymore.

I finally admitted to JB that he did just as much as me around the house (and at times, like during tax season, possibly more). I am however still the mastermind and supervisor behind everything. We were actually both a little shocked when we started to realize the shift of domestic duties. JB was thrilled I could never use that line on him again.

I guess there are two lessons here:

1. Yes, ladies, with a little persistence and time you, too, can move the household duties to your husband if you are sneaky and patient, without them being the wiser.

2. I have an awesome husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment