Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Greek Spaghetti

One of my favorite and EASY recipes that I thought I would share!


Greek Spaghetti

Ingredients:1 stick of butter
1 chopped green bell pepper
1 chopped small onion
2 cans of petite diced tomatoes in sauce
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 small can of sliced black olives (I use the 2 inch tall can b/c I love olives)
1 jar of sliced mushrooms (I also use a lot of mushrooms b/c I like them)
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 package of spaghetti noodles
1 2 cup package of shredded cheese (I used Colby jack, but sharp cheddar is also really good)

Prep (easy as ever):*This makes a full 9x12 casserole dish, so for JB and I, I freeze half the sauce and use it at a later time for a fast meal when I don’t have a lot of prep time.

1. Start boiling the water for the noodles. If you are going to freeze half the sauce, only fix half the noodles. I break the noodles in half for easier serving later.

2. In a fairly deep skillet/sauce pan, sauté the chopped onions and bell pepper in the stick of butter (yes, a WHOLE stick), until soft.

3. Drain and rinse the mushrooms and olives – I usually dump them in the same colander. Add them to the sauce pan

4. Add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.

5. Let simmer for a while. It will smell WONDERFUL. Let all the flavors mix – I usually just simmer it as long as it takes the noodles to finish cooking.

6. Drain and rinse the pasta when done.

7. If you freezing the other half of the sauce, divide and set it aside to cool – wait until not so hot to put it in a container and in the freezer.

8. Preheat the over to 350 degrees.

9. In the casserole dish (I use a clear pyrex), put half the noodles as a layer on the bottom (if you only using half the recipe – 9x9, whole recipe – 9x12).

10. Of the remaining sauce, put half over the noodles – it will not completely cover the noodles, don’t worry.

11. Then put half the cheese (1/2 cup for 9x9, 1 cup for 9x12).

12. Layer again – noodles, sauce, cheese.

13. In a small bowl mix the condensed can of cream of mushroom soup with about a cup of water – I usually wisk it so it is fairly smooth – you’ll only need have for the 9x9 dish. Sorry, throw out the rest, or let me know if you find anther use for it. One time I only mixed the half can with a ½ cup of water and used the cream of mushroom over a small chicken breast, but usually I just chunk it.

14. Pour the mixture over the top with a thin layer. Sometimes I use a spoon so it gets spaced out evenly.

15. Cover with foil and put in the oven. Cook about 30-35 minutes or until bubbling hot. The cream of mushroom soup doesn’t always completely mix in, but just mix it up when you serve it.

16. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment