Saturday, July 25, 2009

Five years....on our way to 50+


JB and I met in 1998...started dating in 2002...married in 2004. We have known each other for 11 years, have been in love for 7 years and married for 5 years. And everyday we love each other more and more. I know that is so cliche, but there is a country song out on the radio right now called "And I thought I loved you then" and everytime I hear it, I think of my sweet husband and our marriage. I won't get into it now, but me and my morbid self have been trying to make JB agree to a suicide pact when we hit 90 because I couldn't imagine a day on this earth without him.

I can't say that life has always been rosey, the first year or two was tough adapting to being responsible and accountable to someone else and making decisions for what was best for "us" instead of "me". Heck, just learning to live with someone was a challenge. We made the move to Fort Worth in 2006 and then remodeled our home which was no piece of cake. Here in Fort Worth, since 2006, JB and I have each changed jobs 3 times - some due to wanting to change and some due to losing them. It hasn't been easy and there are times that I have said "how are we going to do this?". Everytime God gave me the answer "Together and with My help."

In the past five years of ups and downs, JB and I have learned to work as a team. We don't have the routine down perfect yet, but the one thing that makes that okay is commitment. We think 5 years is a big accomplishment - we have known a lot of people that have not made it this far. but we always like to say we are one of the exceptions because not making it last forever is not an option to either of us. Us deciding this Spring that we were ready to bring a kid into our crazy household was a big decision and not one we take lightly -not just for the normal reasons people talk about of finances and lifestyle changes, but we also know that we have to be ready to provide this child the best parental team we can and the most stable loving home we can. We are ready to do that.

I know this is already a long post, but I have just a little more. JB and I are so blessed to have such fantastic examples in our lives. Both of our parents have been married for over 30 years, 3 of our 4 sets of grandparents were lucky to be able to celebrate their 50+ years of marriage together before separated by death and the 4th didn't have a chance to make it that far when Grandpa Polasek died early in life, but they were together until the end.

For our anniversary my Momma and Daddy gave us a book called "A Love the Lasts: Inspring Insights from Couples Married 50 Years and Beyond". She wrote the following in it...

JB and Emily,

I am adding an extra couple although not married 50 years, they do have a "Love that Lasts":

Johnny and Sue Polasek
Married September 20, 1975

Your Dad lovingly tells me how "lucky" he is to have me as his wife. But, he is wrong. I am the lucky one. He loves me unconditionally and completely as I do him. I always feel so cherished, and I cherish him.

So, perhaps that's the reason our love lasts - the fact that each of us believes that he/she is the "lucky" one.

Happy 5th anniversary to you both. May you each always believe that "you" are the "lucky one".

No comments:

Post a Comment