Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Happy Birthday John Wyatt

Okay, so I am a few weeks behind with posting and I am determined to get caught up...

I'll begin with the story of Wyatt's arrival on Monday, December 28, 2009 - one of the most amazing days of my life.

My parents arrived on the Sunday before so we could have our Christmas and it was so nice to spend some time with them. I actually slept really well on Sunday night (not sure why the nerves hadn't kicked in yet) and even had to be woken up with the alarm on Monday. We were set to be at the hospital for my induction at 7:30am. I was drying my hair when JB walked in around 7 and said the hospital had just called - all the beds were full (dang that full moon) and we had to wait to go in until they called us. I was actually okay with this b/c I was running a bit late (surprise, surprise).

Finally around 10:30am by OB/Gyn called and said to come to the hospital - the excitement started to build, but I really wasn't nervous. We got the hospital, checked into a room, and hooked up to an IV (funny to say, but it was the WORST pain of the day - they had to stick me twice and even though I have ENORMOUS veins, they kept hitting valves and having problems). The oxytocin was started and my contractions started to come regularly, but they weren't painful yet. Our doc said I might not have the baby until the wee hours of the morning, so we went ahead and put my Dad back on the road to Georgetown. He had to go to be at work on Tuesday and the roads were going to start getting icy that afternoon.

My mom, JB and I were just hanging out.

At 11:50 the doc came in, said I was still sitting at 2-3 cm but full efaced, so he broke my water. For me, it was not like in the movies where "water" went everywhere, it was fairly controlled. They also rev'd up the oxytocin and would come in every 30-45 minutes and knock it up another notch. The contractions started getting pretty dang strong. I was breathing thru them and doing okay, but since I knew there was an epidural in my future anyway, I went ahead and asked for it when the doc came in to check on my and said I had only progressed to 4 cm.

I got my epi at 3pm, right around when the Aggie bowl game was starting. Although I was super scared of the pain, it was NOTHING compared to the IV. It was more like getting a shot and they put numbing stuff on my back and my anesthesiologist was fantastic - so was our nurse who talked to me and comforted me thru the process of getting it. I asked him when he came in just to make sure I didn't see the needle. After the process was done, I said I wanted to see it and JB told me "no you don't, it is big!" he showed it to me - big, but not huge.

It started to take effect almost immediately. My legs tiggled and they started to feel like they were "going to sleep". It was almost like the bottom half of me was drunk :) They said over hte next few hours they would have me switch from laying on my right and left sides and they would continue to increase my oxytocin. My response "do what you have to do! I can't feel a thing!"

We were watching the end of the bowl game (dangit Aggies) when my doc came to check on me around 5:30 and said "WOW!" I was thinking "maybe I am at 7 or 8cm!" Doc says "You are a full 10 - we are going to have a baby soon!" This was the first time I was truly nervous as suddenly nurses were coming in and out, clearing the floor of all items (in case you gush everywhere, I guess) and bringing in all the carts and baby gear. My main nurse came in and they started collapsing the bed around me. Normally Harris SW only allows 2 "coaches" in the room, but I asked if my mother-in-law could come in. I wanted both grandmas there. They put my "dead legs" up in stirups and asked my mom and JB to hold my feet and gave me a 30 second instruction on how to push.

Our nurse was saying she could see the head and I don't remember being pushy, but apparently I basically demanding that my mother and mother-in-law look. They said I was fussing at them "Don't you want to see?" so they felt obligated to look. HAHA. JB had always said he would stay up at my head and not look, but he did and said it was so neat. He would tell me how he could see the head coming down and that would motivate me to push harder. After I pushed for a bit, they called the doctor in and knew it was serious business. I think I only pushed 2-3 times and I was concentrating so hard on a spot in the middle of Dr. Suba's scrub top he had to say "Emily, look! Look! Here he comes!" Wyatt was born at 6:52pm. He weighed 6 lbs 10.8 ounces and they measured him at 19 inches (but I think they were generous).





He cried and the put him on my chest. He had his eyes wide open and looking around like he was taking in the day, just like I was. He was beautiful and perfect.



They then moved him to the baby warmer where JB got to meet him up close for the first time.



My doc did have to cut me a bit and I remember as they took Wyatt away, looking down at Dr. Suba sewing me up and telling him "wow, my stomach is gone!" and he laughed at me.
It was such a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts. As soon as I was cleaned up, which was pretty fast, we had everyone waiting in the hall to come in and my sister got on the road from Arlington. It was such a blessed moment filled with joy and family and love. Wyatt definitely had a good "first birthday".




Meeting Aunt Amanda for the first time.

Being held by Nana. She will be one of us favorite people, I know.


2 comments:

  1. So So SO very happy for you guys Em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to cry - makes me remember Trent's birthday. It really is something you can't even imagine - no matter how prepared you are, it really is a moment of total wonder. I also hate you just a little bit - you pushed 2 or 3 times?!?! I pushed for almost an hour and a half. Of course there was a 2 pound difference! Ha! Keep the pictures coming when you can. :) I probably sound like a broken record, but you know where to find me if you need me!

    ReplyDelete