Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vertigo

I am behind on blogging.....I have not uploaded Christmas gifts or pictures of Wyatt on his 1st birthday!

I hope to do this soon, but until then I must tell you about my New Year's Eve.

I woke up on Friday, New Year's Eve morning unable to get out of bed even unable to sit up.  The room was spinning and I was so sick and I knew something was terribly wrong.  It was about 6:30am and JB's alarm for work hadn't gone off yet.  I woke him up and told him "Call Dad.  Something is really wrong!" he asked me to hand him the phone and I started to cry and said "I can't".  I was trying not to freak out, but it was really hard.

In all my life, I cannot remember ever being so terrified.  I had a scare with my heart a few years ago.  I have given birth to a child.  But nothing has scared me like this feeling.  On top of the feeling of not knowing what is wrong with you, I was overwhelmed with the fact that I was completely incapacitated and could not even go to my child.  Strange...I knew JB was there, my in-laws down the road, my sister was immediately called and on her way to my house and my mom heading up as well, but I could not care for Wyatt.  This terrified me like nothing else.  I know being a mom is putting your child before yourself, but I never imagined it would kick in so strong in a such a panicked state.

I am very blessed to have a doctor father-in-law who has connections.  He called an Ear doctor who was headed out that morning to go hunting but hadn't left his house yet AND he lives 5 minutes from us.  Those couple hours before he came were the strangest time of my life.  I desperately needed to go the bathroom but the thought of JB carrying me and jostling me made me just want to wet the bed instead - I DIDN'T.  Instead I hugged a pillow around my head, fell to the bedroom floor where we had put a sheet and JB dragged me to the doorway of the bathroom.  I could barely sit up and once I moved around to go to the bathroom, then the barfs started.  I finally made it back to the bed and the doctor came. 

I am forever grateful to Dr. A.  He was great - he moved me to the floor and proceeded to do something called the Epley Movements to realign the crystals in my inner ear tubes (this is how I best understood it).  He was rolling my head around, laying me down and sitting me up and kept on having to stop to grab the trashcan, although I did hold it in b/c I would have felt AWFUL to barf in front of him.  He eventually got thru all the movements without me having to stop and placed me back up in bed and said I should feel better in the next couple days, stay upright (even when sleeping) and call him first of the next week. 

All weekend I was still severely dizzy but just functioning b/c I didn't know what else to do.  I went back to Dr. A today and did 2 hours of tests.  They did another Epley treatment and I will again be sleeping upright in the office recliner for the next few days.  Good news - it is nothing SUPER serious.  I have BPPV, which is a kind of vertigo and recurrence of episodes are very likely (yuck) but at least it is something that I am now aware of and will understand when/if there is another episode. 

So, our year has started off a little rough, to say the least.....but you never really appreciate your health and what you have until you have such a scare.  JB and I are so blessed to be healthy ourselves and more importantly have a healthy child.  We are so blessed to be surrounded by loving family and friends ready to help out whenever we need them. 

God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment