Saturday, February 19, 2011

Beef A La Duetsch

One of my families' favorites.  I fixed it when I had the in-laws over recently and we didn't have any leftovers to speak of!  Everyone went back for seconds (and some people thirds).  Wyatt eats a man-sized portion of it.

Ingredients
1 - 1.5 lbs ground beef (I like mine super beefy)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced in sauce tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tsp salt
1 pkg of egg noodles (I use a full 12 oz of extra wide, but sometimes I'll pull out about 1/4 of it for Wyatt to eat for lunch at a later time and it fits in the dish better.
1 (8oz) philly cream cheese
1/2 tub (4oz) of sour cream
1.5-2 cups of grated cheddar cheese

Steps

1.  Set out cream cheese in a big mixing bowl, so it will be softening.

2. Brown meat.  Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, sugar and salt.  Let simmer for 45 minutes (sometimes I only have time for 30 minutes and it is still yummy)

2.  About 10 minutes before the meat will be done simmering, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions - make sure to not overcook or they get mushy. I think you cook them around 5-7 minutes.

3.  Drain the noodles and immediately dump over the cream cheese and add the sour cream.  Mix until everything is coated and no spots of cream cheese left.

4.  Layer the following in a deep casserole dish (I use a 2.5 or  3 qt corning ware).
             a. 1/2 meat sauce
             b. 1/2 noodles
             c.  Grated cheddar cheese
             d. 1/2 meat sauce

             e. 1/2 noodles
             f. Grated cheddar cheese

5. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35 minutes.



       

1 comment:

  1. I made this the other night and we loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete