Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lazy Mom Dinners

Here are two crockpot dinners I made this week.  Truly I am not an avid crockpot user because my crockpot cooks WAY too hot and I don't like having it going if Wyatt and I leave the house during the day.  BUT there were some meats on sale at the grocery store this week and this is what I made with it.

Again, sort of creations with ideas taken from various recipes, so I bet altered to fit your taste and higher level of cooking expertise they could be even better.

Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients:
1.5 pound cubed beef stew meat
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
Jar of sliced mushrooms
Small chopped onion
About 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 – 1 cup beef broth (I used about half the can….I think too soupy is better than too dry)
Some black pepper
1 tbsp corn starch w/ 2 tbsp water
4 ounces cream cheese

Directions:
1. In the crockpot, combine the meat, soup, mushrooms, onion, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth.

2. Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for about 5 hours. (This all depends upon your cooker – mine is SUPER fast, so I have to start it at lunch on the 8 hour setting).

3. About an hour before you are going to eat it, make a mixture of 2 tbsp water with 1 tbsp corn starch and mix it in (this just helps thicken it a bit)

4. Stir in cream cheese just before serving. (many times this recipe calls for sour cream which I think would be fantastic, but JB HATES sour cream so I used cream cheese and it was good, but not as tangy as it would be with sour cream).

5. Serve over egg noodles (prepared according to the package – I think they take about 7-9 minutes to cook).

BBQ Ribs
Ingredients:
Ribs (either boneless or small with bones - I get whatever is on sale but make sure it is UNseasoned)
Your favorite BBQ sauce (you can make your own sauce and there are many recipes on line, but this is the LAZY Mom's version)

Directions:
1. I usually spray some Pam at the bottom of my crockpot and put the ribs in one layer on the bottom.

2.  Pour about 1/2 to 3/4 of a jar of BBQ sauce over the ribs.  I like for it to ALMOST cover them. 

3.  I cook mine about 5/6 hours on medium high, flipping them over (if not all the rib is covered) after about 2 hours and then usually the juice from the ribs and the ribs "sinking in" will have them covered soon.

4.  Add some easy sides and enjoy!  The boneless ones would be great torn up a bit on hamburger buns for rib sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment