Thursday, June 30, 2011

Banana Bread

About every two weeks at the grocery store, they will have the old banana bags on sale for 99 cents.  At least at my Albertson's some of the bananas barely have brown spots on their skins.  Anyway, I usually snag me a dollar bag and bring it home to make banana bread. 

I do a modified recipe from Paula Dean and do mini-loaves instead of one big loaf, so I can give them to family and friends.  I usually do a couple of batches (yielding 10 mini loaves) and really enjoy the baking time, plus I usually have everything on hand other than the bananas so I feel like I am making a bunch of dessert/breakfast bread for a dollar!

Here's my recipe if anyone is interested (note, I don't do banana NUT b/c JB doesn't like nuts).

Banana Bread


½ cup Crisco Shortening
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs beaten (if my eggs are small, I add a 3rd egg)
3-4 mashed bananas (I err on the side of too much banana and don’t overmush)
1/3 cup buttermilk*
1 tablespoon vanilla
Approx. 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (I just shake in a good amt)

1. With hand mixer, cream shortening and sugar
2. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon
3. Add dry ingredients slowly into creamed mixture (I usually just fold it in until it isn’t so “powdery)
4. Add eggs, buttermilk* and vanilla – mix well with hand mixer – it is a very “doughy” consistency
5. Pour into WELL GREASED pan (1 big loaf pan, or I use 5 mini-loaves (the dough should only be about halfway filling the tins, it rises)
6. Bake at 350 degrees for approx 40 minutes (toothpick test – overcooked makes it super dry, so watch it closely).

*I rarely have buttermilk on hand, so if I forget to get it from the grocery store, you can make your own buttermilk.  1/2 cup of whole milk and 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar.  Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then use 1/3 cup for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment