Monday, August 15, 2011

Chocolate Pie

As my friends and family know, I am not a big sweets eater.  My favorite food is actually pickles!  BUT, when I am pregnant, I love me some chocolate.  So I have to make a chocolate pie pretty often and it is a great dessert to take to a small dinner with family. 

The other day I made Spinach Quiche for dinner and JB happily reminded me that frozen pie crusts (Mrs. Smiths are just as good as my homemade) come in pairs so I should have an extra one for chocolate pie, RIGHT!?!?  Also the ingredients are so simple that I always have them on hand.

I ended up making two to take to the in-laws for family dinner.  Here's the recipe - if you have ever made custard, it is a similar routine and if you haven't, then master this chocolate pie and then you can more easily make custard!

Chocolate Pie
As you'll see in the comments my mom reminded me to give credit to whose recipe it is (although I had no clue until she told me).  It came from my Great-Grandma Pauly who was an amazing woman and fabulous baker.  There are a few other recipes of hers I will have to include one day when I make them - especially her Pecan Sandie Cookies.  What is so ironic is that I never remember her making this [ie but I do remember helping her make and eat her homemade pickles - she knew just what her great - granddaughter liked I guess so that is what I always got "pickle time".

Ingredients:

1 Frozen Pie Crust (I like Mrs. Smith's deep dish)
2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks (beaten)
2 rounded tablespoons of cocoa powder
3 rounded tablespoons of corn starch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter

Directions:
1.  Bake pie crust according to directions on box/container.  Make sure the crust has time to cool sufficiently before you start your chocolate filling.

2. In a small saucepan (I think I use a 3 quart one b/c I sometimes double the recipe), pour about 1 1/2 of the 2 cups of milk and the 1 cup of sugar together.  Heat on low until warm to the touch. Wisking occasionally to mix everything together.

3.  Beside you on the stovetop, have your vanilla and a teaspoon waiting.  I also cut the tablespoon of butter off the stick butter but just leave it in the fridge b/c it is near my stovetop.

4.  In a small mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients of corn starch and cocoa powder - I usually mix them with a folk.  Create a small well in the middle and pour the remaining 1/2 cup or so of milk.  Make a well mixed paste.

5.  In a small bowl beat the eggs yolks.

6.  Once the milk/sugar mixture is warm, add the other two bowls (cocoa paste & eggs) and turn up the heat a bit (about 3/4 of the way to High on my stovetop but everyone's is different). 

7.  Now comes the waiting and wisking....continually wisking as the mixture heats up.  Sometimes if I become impatient, I turn the heat up a little higher, but you have to be careful not to burn the bottom of it.  It will become "frothy" on top and seem like it is never going to do anything, but eventually (and you might have to turn up the heat on your stove as well, just do it gradually) it will start to bubble and thicken.

8.  NOW, FAST!  Turn off the heat on the burner but keep quickly wisking so it doesn't burn and add the butter and teaspoon (I use a bit more) of vanilla and mix.  It will start to look like pudding.

9.  Once you are sure the butter is melted, pour into your cooked and cooled pie crust
 and leave on the stove to sit until room temp or at least not hot.  Once cooled enough, put saran wrap over the pie - I press it gently onto the chocolate (it won't stick).  Now into the fridge.  It probably takes a couple hours for it to get to good cool, eating temp and where it is "set". 

10.  For a real treat, try making some homemade whip cream to top it (with a hand mixer, beat powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream).  Cool Whip also works great.  Enjoy!


YUM!


A happy boy who got to lick the spatula!!

2 comments:

  1. Em, you neglected to give credit to your Great-grandmother, Grandma Pauly, for this recipe (except for the frozen pie crust, which she never used :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't know where who it was from! Thanks Mom - I'll add it in.

    ReplyDelete