Monday, August 22, 2011

King Ranch Casserole

Here is a favorite at our house.  I made it a few weeks ago and it is on the menu again this week (although not to be made but to be defrosted - gotta love pre-frozen meals)! Once cooked later this week - I'll add a picture.

King Ranch Casserole

Ingredients:

1 traditional rotisserie chicken cut/picked into pieces.(this is SO much easier than cooking the chicken)
1 small/medium onion chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can of rotel (I use mild b/c I am a weenie or if I don’t have rotel, I have also used diced tomatoes).
1 can chicken broth
2 cups (whole bag) grated cheese (I use whatever I have on hand – cheddar, monterrey jack, etc).
1 dozen corn tortillas
*1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
*1 can of corn (drained)

*This recipe was originally from my mom and I add the black beans and corn or sometimes don’t add them and just serve Southwestern Corn (has black beans in it) as a side dish depending upon who is coming to dinner and if they are picky.

Directions:
I usually make the whole recipe, but have a foil pan w/ lid 9x9 that I fix and freeze and then make the other 9x9 to cook that night. Otherwise, use a 9x13 casserole dish. It is really easy to freeze and use later though.

1. In a LARGE saucepan/pot, sauté chopped onion in a bit of EVOO.

2. Once onion is tender, add all the soups, rotel and chicken broth. Turn up the heat a bit.

3. Once warmed and mixed well, add the beans, corn, chicken and cheese.

4. Cook, stirring occasionally as it thickens and all the cheese melts. I usually let it simmer for a good 20-30 minutes on the stove.

5. While it cooks, I cut up my corn tortillas – I just usually halve or quarter them.

6. Layer tortillas, sauce, tortillas and sauce. It is fairly soupy so no worries about that – the tortillas will soak that up as it cooks.

7. Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes – until bubbling and looks “done” on top

8. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I hope to make this very soon! Sounds so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this last night....it was great! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete